21 May 2017
Bangkok. National record holder in U-18 category Gurindervir Singh of Punjab and Kerala’s Abhishek Mathew won two gold medals for India on the second day of the ongoing 2nd Asian Youth Athletics Championships at the Suphachalasai National Stadium in Bangkok, Thailand on Sunday.
The 16-year old sprinter, Gurindervir clocked 10.77s and finished ahead on Malaysian teenager Muhammad Adon (10.80s) and Sunjae Choi (10.81s) of Korea to win the boys 100m final.
Gurindervir smashed the youth national record last month at the 14th National Youth Athletics Championships held in Hyderabad with the timing of 10.74s in the 100m final.
The boys 800m race was a photo finish as Abhishek grabbed the gold for India with the timing of 1m 54.991s beating Sri Lanka’s Harsha Mudiyansela who had to settle for silver with 1m 54.993s timing. Qi Zhan (1:55.25) of China won the bronze medal.
Other medal winners from India-
1) Damneet Singh (boys hammer throw, silver, 70.29m)
2) Mohit (boys shot put, silver, 18.82m)
3) Mohit (boys decathlon, silver, 5976 points)
4) NiteshPoonia (boys hammer throw, bronze, 69.76m)
5) Seema (girls 3000m, bronze, 10:05.27)
6) Akshay Nain (boys 400m, bronze, 48.49s)